Need advice?

Are you being discriminated against? 

In New Zealand it is unlawful to discriminate against someone because of mental illness or distress.

Like Minds, Like Mine is focused on challenging discrimination in the community, workplaces and in the media. We cannot offer legal advice but there are lots of places you can go for help.

Organisations that may be able to help

  • Human Rights Commission

    The Human Rights Commission offers a free, informal enquiries and complaints service to deal with discrimination and racial and sexual harassment issues. If you think you have faced discrimination, you can make a complaint to the Human Rights Commission. They can help with advice and information and, if necessary, mediate your complaint.
    Phone: 0800 496 877
    Fax: 09 377 3593 (Attn: Infoline)

  • Health & Disability Commissioner

    If you want to know more about your rights when using health and disability services, get questions answered or make a complaint, the Office of the Health & Disability Commissioner can help you to find an independent advocate. They can also give you tips on self-advocacy.
    Phone: 800 11 22 33

  • Office of the Ombudsman

    The Ombudsman helps the community in its dealings with government agencies. They handle complaints against government agencies and undertake investigations and inspections, where they see the need.
    Phone: 0800 802 602 (Language line assistance available)
    Fax: 04 471 2254

  • Citizens Advice Bureau

    Citizens Advice Bureau can provide free and confidential advice and support.
    Phone: 0800 FOR CAB (0800 367 222)

  • Community Law Centres

    Community Law Centres are independent community organisations that provide free legal help for members of the public.

  • Workplace health and safety

    The Labour Group of the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment can assist with general queries on employment relations, pay, holidays, and health and safety.
    Phone: 0800 20 90 20

  • Judges

    The Judicial Conduct Commissioner deals with complaints about the conduct of Judges.
    Phone: 0800 800 323


  • Landlords and tenants

    The Building and Housing Group of the Ministry for Business, Innovation and Employment can provide advice and information for landlords and tenants who rent their homes.
    Phone: 0800 TENANCY (0800 83 62 62)

  • Lawyers

    The New Zealand Law Society is responsible for regulating lawyers who practice law in New Zealand and operates the Lawyers Complaints Service.

  • Making Complaints

    The Human Rights Commission has published a guide for mental health service users. It outlines legal rights and where to go for support.

    Making Complaints



Good reads



Reasonable accommodation at work

New Zealand’s employers are more and more aware of the need to... Read more


Fighting the good fight


With twin four-year-olds and a busy work schedule to contend with, Lotto... Read more

Stories of Success cover 6x4


Social inclusion, the key to recovery

Stories of Success is the latest publication the Like Minds, Like Mine... Read more